Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Delivery, Books, and Rubber Bands

I got a note in my email this morning from South Dennis Library:

Someone at your circ desk is 'bundling' three and four hardcover books with rubber bands. My understanding is that we can bundle DVDs or other light things, but this is perilous, because the books seem to get tossed around and rubber bands just aren't enough to hold a pile of hardcovers. Again, it's probably somebody new or someone who hasn't heard all the ins and outs of packaging---especially since some of the rules seem to change on a daily basis!!

But we've had several books come in recently that wandered around for a while in the warehouse or wherever they sort them and they had been sent from DP so I thought I'd pass it by you.
Since some clarification was needed, I spoke to Anne, and she said that is regularly receiving from DPL 3, 4, and 5 ADULT HARDCOVERS being bundled, and sometimes with only one rubber band.

According to PubServices, we can bundle a handful of smaller/lighter items (and children's books). However, we should probably stay away from bundling more than a couple (2) of adult hardcover books - the rubber bands can't take the weight of larger bundles.

Thanks!

No comments: