- Everyone is responsible for CHECKING THE CALENDAR FOR COVERAGE before requesting time off. I simply cannot keep track of everyone, so my answer is always going to be "as long as we are covered," and it is your job to make sure that we are, indeed, covered.
- During the summer season, "covered" means at least three people on a shift, generally.
- Volunteers and seasonal staff MUST have a staff member on with them.
- Volunteers and seasonal staff should NOT be left alone in the building, even when we are not open.
- AFTER you have checked the calendar, if it appears that we will be covered, please lightly (in pencil) cross your name off on the calendar (and if it's just a portion of the shift, pencil in the hours you will be working). This will let people know that you have requested this date/time off.
- THEN give the request slip to Julie. Julie will cross-check the calendar with the other request slips. If we are indeed covered, your name will be crossed off the calendar (or hours changed) in RED PEN. This will let people know that you are definitely off.
- THE slip will then be signed by me, and you will get a copy in your mailbox.
- DON'T forget to write down the time/hours/comp/what-have-you on the payroll adjustment sheet.
- If someone has already asked for the day off, and you taking the time will leave us short, you are welcome to ask someone to cover for you. People picking up extra hours will generally be paid in comp time (except on a SUMMER Saturday, when they have the choice of comp or pay).
- Be mindful of the amount of vacation and comp time you have accrued. Remember that you can't carry over more than 10 days vacation to the next year (at your anniversary), and that you can't carry more than your regular weekly total of hours in comp time (so if you work 17.5 hrs per week, then you can carry more than that in comp time). In these instances in particular, I have rules that I have to follow. So while I may not mind if you wrack up comp time, if I get called on it by payroll or administration, I am going to have to follow the rules, and you will lose accrued time.
- I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT ANYONE ELSE IS DOING! I do not know everyone's schedule off the top of my head, nor do I remember who is taking what day off. The calendar is the first place everyone should look when deciding to take time off.
If you have ANY questions regarding the time off procedure, please let me know!
No comments:
Post a Comment