Tuesday, February 19, 2013

LOCKING DOORS

A couple of notes about locking up:

From now on, if a group come is BEFORE we close (but is leaving after closing), there is no need for them to have a key, and in fact should NOT be given a key. When we leave, ALL doors should be locked, and the group leader should be instructed to prop the door until all the participants have shown up. This way, there is no reason for anyone but staff to unlock the door or have to re-lock it on the way out, which cuts down on damage to the lock (which is sensitive and fussy) and doors being left open.

Groups that come before or after we close (which are few) will have to have a key. I will be making up more specific rules about the use of the room and the locking up process for groups as we seem to be running in to some problems and I have had to answer a couple of false alarm calls recently.

Also, for the second time in less than two months, a person has been left in the library after closing. EVERYONE who is on at closing should walk the library, check the bathrooms, and check that the doors are locked. Even if someone else says, "I am going to lock the door" please make it your responsibility to check it. I can't tell you how many times a day I leave my office to do something that doesn't get done because I get side-tracked, interrupted, dementia, etc.

Lastly, There is now a key that locks the exterior (into the hallway) meeting room doors - yay. It is marked and hanging in the key box. We do not need to be locking the doors on a regular basis, but if we run into a problem with locking the front door, the meeting room and the bathrooms should be locked to minimize potential damage and theft. So, if ever the front door cannot be locked, the procedure is to 

Call me or Cindy if you don't reach me
Lock the bathrooms
Lock the meeting room hall doors
Lock the inner doors

If both Cindy and I are unavailable, Tom Sisson should be called and he will most likely tell you to call the police and alert them that we have an open building.

Questions on any of this, please see me!
Thanks!

No comments: