Hi Folks,
We now have a year's contract with Lynda.com, and during that time you can do all the training you like. However, since I couldn't afford to buy enough licenses for everyone to have their own, we have to share.
I'm not sure how this will all pan out in terms of sharing, so I don't want to make up and charts or schedules or anything unless we have to, so I am just going to toss out the basics and we'll take it from there.
Lynda.com and hit the Log in at the top right corner
We have three logins:
Staff One
username: DPL1
password: dplstaff1
Staff Two
username: DPL2
password: dplstaff2
Staff Three
username: DPL3
password: dplstaff3
All are CASE SENSITIVE. Do not click the "stay logged in" button because more than one person will be using the account, and you may also need to use a different account on your computer at some point.
More than one person can use an account, but not simultaneously. Keep in mind that you may log on to an account that someone else is also using, so do not get rid of any courses that are not yours. In other words, there may be courses in the "playlist" that you didn't put there, so just leave them alone.
From time-to-time I may assign a course for you to take. When this happens, you will have a set period of time to take the course, and I will let people know that during that time period they are not allowed to use that particular log-in. Assigned courses may be completed during work hours, BUT NOT TO THE DETRIMENT OF YOUR ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS. If you need more time to complete an assigned course, just let me know. Other courses may be taken during SLOW periods in your work schedule, but they have to have a positive impact on/ be related to your library job. So, a course in time management is ok to do at work, a course in video editing is not.
You CAN take non-essential, for your own fun courses at home. Just please be mindful that you are sharing logins and the priority goes like this - courses I have assigned, courses that are not assigned but job-related, and courses you take on your own time on your own computer for fun.
Professional development is important, and I wish I had the money to send everyone to a conference or class every year, but I don't. Also, sometimes we get carried away with being out of the building at meetings, trainings, and classes.... these things are important, and sometimes necessary, but we need to remember that we are understaffed - all the time. I'm hoping that people will take advantage of this service to help fill gaps.
I expect we will revisit the best use of this as we get more into it.
Questions, see me.
Thanks!
No comments:
Post a Comment