Monday, November 30, 2009

Food for Thought - Security Gates

I am starting the process of choosing the security gates for the front door....

I just want everyone to consider what this may (or may not) mean for how your job is performed. Having security gates means:
  • magnetic security strips will have to be put in ALL (new) books and DVDs (we will not be putting strips in the old books, but we WILL be putting strips in ALL of the DVDs on the shelves)
  • the items will need to be de-magnetized upon check-out (that usually entails running the spine over a special pad)
  • if an item is not demagnetized, the sensor at the door will beep
  • if the sensor beeps, someone (and I would assume that it would be reference most times because they are closest to the door) will have to stop the patron and find out what the issue is

So, in a nutshell, this is going to mean either extra work, and extra "step," or extra "dealing with crap" skills for most all of you. It will mean that I will have to deal with the people trying to steal our stuff.

My professional feeling is that having the gates will cut down on the theft that still happens in spite of the cameras (I think the cameras have helped a lot, but they do not deter everyone). I think the gates will help us identify - and then more appropriately deal with - problem patrons. I think that a building this size and in this area NEEDS gates, and that it should have been done when the building was built. And I know that if I don't spend the money NOW to have it done, the money will be reabsorbed into the Town coffers, and we will NOT have the opportunity to do this down the road.

That said, I want to you to think about the things I mentioned above, and how you feel about the impact. If you think we need a meeting on this, then we can do that. If you feel like you need more information on how it works, then PLEASE ask me. If you have other concerns, then I need to know that, too. NOW is the time for discussion and problem-solving on this - not after the plan is in the works. So, give it some thought, and let me know what you think.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It has to be done. I think it's exciting. And I feel we are lucky to have the opportunity to get the security at all. I'm sure we will all step up to the challenge of more steps in our jobs. That's what we do!
Lisa