If a patron is unable to connect to the wireless - and there are other people currently successfully connected to the wireless - the problem is almost always because either the patron does not know how to use their computer, or the computer uses a configuration that is not compatible with our network.
In other words - unless NO ONE can connect to the wireless AND/OR the public access computers are down, the problem is either the user or their computer. IF no one else can connect to the wireless, and/or the public access computers are not connecting to the internet, then please re-set the connection in the closet and see if this solves the issues. If not, then the problem is with Comcast, and they will need to be contacted (I will handle that - if I am unavailable, then post signs saying internet is unavailable).
I will provide reference and circulation with a sheet on our wireless policies, troubleshooting problems, and how to print on the wireless network. PLEASE NOTE! OUR POLICY IS THAT WE CANNOT PROVIDE HANDS-ON ASSISTANCE WITH PATRON LAPTOP PROBLEMS OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING WIRELESS! If one of us were to do something to screw up or break a patron's laptop, the Town is LIABLE. So, if a patron is having laptop trouble, you can give them the sheet on wireless, but the answer is "I'm sorry, but I can't troubleshoot your laptop for liability reasons." Period.
Also note - GENERALLY, these issues can and should be handled by reference or myself (in that order), but it would be good for everyone to have at least a basic familiarity with resetting the networks (both public and CLAMS) in the closet. Please see me for a quick rundown if you have no idea what lives in the network closet.
Questions, please see me.
Thanks!
No comments:
Post a Comment