It seems that there are almost constant questions about fines - do we waive them, should we reduce them, this is a "good" patron vs. this is a "problem" patron and on and thus. So, here's my official ruling on FINES (that is ALL materials have been returned, there are no billed items - just fines):
Fines are there for a reason. In our case, a big part of that reason is that fines go into our revolving fund, and help us pay for materials and events. Generally speaking, people should pay their fines. We can - and do - allow them to be paid off bit-by-bit without it affecting their ability to take out materials. So, yes, patrons should pay them.
THAT BEING SAID - I know that in some cases there are extenuating circumstances, and it's just good customer service to waive or reduce fines. But here's the thing - I do not sit out at circ, so I am not likely to be privy to all these circumstances. So, I am giving ALL of you the authority to waive/reduce fines if you think it is warranted! I don't want any more fine questions unless a patron asks to speak with me directly (and at which point I will handle the issue in my office).
Questions, please see me.
No comments:
Post a Comment