Monday, March 19, 2012

New Policy on "Forgotten" Cards

Starting immediately, we will only be allowing people who do not have their cards to take out ONE item.

Yes, I know there will be complaints, tantrums, and pushback on this from a few patrons, so prepare yourselves. Yes I know that lots of other libraries will just look them up, and that this will be a frequent argument given by patrons. But every library has different policies on things, and this is ours.

While we were offline a couple weeks ago, I spent some time on the desk, and I noticed a few things. One of the things was that far too many people show up without their cards. While I am sure that some people did honestly forget, I know that many just have come to EXPECT that we know them, so it's OK, or that we will look them up. Some people have lost their card, but they don't want to admit it, or don't want to pay the dollar for a replacement. And some people have simply left it in the car, and just don't want to go get it (this I witnessed TWICE in the space of an hour).

There are many reasons why people should just have their card EVERY TIME they check something out, starting with it lessens the chance of checking out something to the wrong account (it does happen) to it saves time. Bottom line - people need to have their cards. The one item limit will make an impression quickly on those who have made this a habit. And yep, this applies to children as well.

If you get a patron who does not have their card, please ask them if they need a new one, and tell them because we are going to be requiring that everyone has their card, if they have lost their card, they can get a replacement FREE right now. Tell them we are THRILLED to do it. Also offer them a keychain card (I don't think patrons know we have them, because when I offered them to the people who didn't have them, they really wanted one. I know not everyone will want one, but please make sure they know it's an option). I have made up signs about the new policy and FREE replacement card grace period, and they are on the backs of the circ monitors, on the ref desk, and on the front door.

Like I said, you should expect that their will be some unhappiness about this, but like everything, people will get over it. If you have a real issue with a patron, let me know, or if a patron wants to speak to me about it, that's not a problem. Let me know if you have questions. Thanks!

No comments: