Like most things, policies, guidelines, and even rules tend to get "forgotten" as time goes on. Everyone gets a bit lax, I let things slide, and before you know we have things that need to be addressed.
So without further ado....
Circ Computer Use
Two years ago, I wrote the below in the blog:
The circ computers are NOT to be used for any non-work-related internet activities. (There was more to this, but this is the nitty-gritty of it - WORK-RELATED ONLY).
For both circ and reference computers, you should not be using FACEBOOK, PERSONAL EMAIL ACCOUNTS, SHOPPING, or READING BLOGS! Accessing your CLAMSNET mail is OK, but even that should be done at your desk if possible to cut down on virus threats.
I am not interested in being the computer police, and frankly, as long as people are getting their work done, I don't care if someone looks up shoes on Zappos or checks their facebook page. However, we are getting ready to upgrade the circ and reference machines, and they need to be operational. So, no personal internet browsing on the circ or reference computers.
Browsing (within reason!) is permitted on your personal desktops (because if you break it, you will lose the computer until it's fixed and you will have to explain to Dan Proto that YOU picked up a virus). If you don't have your own desktop, feel free to use your phone/tablet/laptop. But if I catch anyone on the circ or reference computers doing personal browsing, the first time will be a warning, and the second time a write-up. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't make me do that, I hate doing that, it gives me heartburn.
Now, that bit about your own computers or phones? That got a little out-of-hand for some, and this summer I saw way too much of the head-down-looking-at-the-phone-while-sitting-at-circ thing going on. So, I hate to be this boss, but, yeah, please keep the browsing at your desk or in the back room, and within reason. Seriously. There is ALWAYS something that needs doing.
(And to keep this in perspective - everyone at town hall has browsing BLOCKED on their computers. They can't access anything. When Steve Buss was here he wanted to do that at the library, and I fought to not have that happen. I don't want to make people miserable, but I also don't want things taken advantage of either.)
Getting to the Church on Time
Seems lately we have been having some tardiness issues. Now this gets by me because I am not here early, I tend to be here late. But let's just say that it hasn't gone unnoticed, and now it's been noticed by me, and everyone needs to check themselves on this. In some cases I think that it was a sort of balance to closing up and not getting out right at 8 or right at 2 so OK I can be a few minutes late to make up for it, or I'll make the time up later, but now that we have a new closing schedule in place, and you will be getting paid for the time spent here after 8 or 2, I expect that everyone will be on time from now on. Again, this is not an "OMG we are all going to die!" issue, but it IS the kind of issue that becomes a slippery slope pretty quickly and eventually ends up in the "It's no big deal" pile. So I am going on record as saying that it's been noticed, and I want people here when their shift starts. And if it continues to be a problem, this conversation will be a private one next time, and I will seriously consider another favorite Town Hall appliance - a time clock. We don't want that....
Lastly
Where are you?
This is just an opportunity to remind people to look at their goals. Are you where you need to be? Are you where you want to be? Are you having a problem with anything? Can I help? Does something need to be tweaked? Remember, the goals are CALENDAR YEAR goals, and your performance evals, which are usually done sometime in February, take those goal sheets into consideration in a big way. Part of MY evaluation by my boss is to provide measurable goals for measurable outcomes, and take action when I need to. Sometimes, the process is awful for everyone involved. So please, if there are issues, don't let them go - come see me.
OK, this is another sheet to initial - I want to be sure we are all on the same page.
Questions? Issues? COME SEE ME.
Thanks!
No comments:
Post a Comment