Seems we've been having some trouble with a group of middle school boys, the latest episode being Tuesday night with general rowdiness and possible theft of DVDs.
I've been asked to clarify how such situations are to be handled (especially when I am not here to go out and scare them to death with my Queen Latifah impersonation).
Level 1 - General Rowdiness, Horseplay, Loudness, and/or Bothering Other Patrons
They get one clear warning: You need to stop doing X and behave. If I have to talk to you again, you will be asked to leave the library.
If you do have to talk to them again, then they should be asked to leave immediately. If they ask for how long, it's "until tomorrow."
Level 2 - Fighting, Hateful Name Calling, Yelling
They should be asked to leave IMMEDIATELY, and they cannot return until the next day.
Level 3 - Theft, Vandalism, Sexual Harassment, Assault
They should be asked to leave IMMEDIATELY, and they cannot return UNTIL A PARENT MEETS WITH THE DIRECTOR. If theft or vandalism is actually witnessed, you may use your judgement - you can throw the kid out, or you can "be quiet" about it and call the police so that they can handle it. If a patron complains about being sexually harassed or assaulted, the police should be called IMMEDIATELY.
Three Strike Rule
If a child/teen is asked to leave three times - for any reason - they will not be able to return until a parent meets with the director.
General
If I am in the building, then I should be alerted to the problem, and I will deal with the kids. If I am not here, then the staff member who feels most comfortable and able to enforce the rules should deal with the matter. Volunteers and temporary staff should not be enforcing policy.
As always, you can call me at any time, and if the police have to be called, I would appreciate a call at home as well.
No comments:
Post a Comment